Re: [ft-devel] display broken

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] display broken
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:34:50 +0900

Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> writes:
>> Well, I've read that that Apple is going to sell iBooks with
>> `retina displays' soon, with really impressive DPI values, and I
>> suspect that other companies will provide similar things, which is
>> good!
>
> Let me steer this discussion away from commerce and back to
> freetype.  With DPI = 326 on IPhone 4S and DPI = 264 on IPad, would
> you agree that hinting and subpixel rendering becomes less critical,
> whereas the speed of the rasterizer needs to be revisited?

I'm not sure what "less critical" means...

Freetype obviously still has to do good hinting and subpixel
rendering, even on a high res display.

[My cellphone has about the same display resolution as an iphone 4
(about 310 DPI), and although this makes large characters look really
smooth, they also took advantage of the resolution by using _really
freaking small_ characters in some situations, and really freaking
small CJK characters still need decent hinting or whatever even at
these resolutions...]

-Miles

--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde