[ft-devel] Horizontal Stem Snapping in Autohinter

From: Infinality
Subject: [ft-devel] Horizontal Stem Snapping in Autohinter
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:33:12 -0500

Werner,

What are your thoughts on implementing horizontal stem snapping in the autohinter? To me, this provides a substantially cleaner look to 99.5% of glyphs, particularly when the stems are between 1 and 3 pixels thick. I think this is largely the issue when people complain about Freetype font rendering.

Currently, the infinality autohint patches have code inside af_latin_compute_stem_width() which accomplishes this. The only issue I notice is on a small subset of faces at certain ppems, on "s" and "a" sometimes. The middle stem tends to get under or over-represented, due to lack of diagonal hinting. But to me, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks, and I think it would substantially improve the quality of ttfautohint hinting as well.

I'd be willing to adapt the infinality code to replace the existing code if you were OK with it.

Thanks,
Erik