Re: [ft-devel] Horizontal Stem Snapping in Autohinter

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Horizontal Stem Snapping in Autohinter
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:15:32 -0500

The only reason I bring up the horizontal stem snapping (outside the context of a new autohint API) is that it could be implemented without needing to add any new variables, and without using the warper. (The vertical stem alignment in the infinality patches relates more to the warper, whereas the horizontal stem alignment & snapping is done completely in af_latin_compute_stem_width() ). So, I guess I was trying to see if you'd be willing to implement this temporarily, with the understanding that it would eventually be able to be fine-tuned with a new autohint API. :) Huge gain with a tiny effort!

After integrating the TT subpixel hinting patches into Freetype (very soon), the next logical step for me is to get the other autohint infinality features into Freetype, which will involve a new API. So, while there may be a slight learning curve there for me, I'd be willing to look into it.

Thanks again,
Erik