Re: [ft-devel] controlling FreeType modules

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] controlling FreeType modules
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:25:10 +0900

(some platform may have multiple font management systems and their
registries are often left with no synchronization), putting everything
for CFR into FreeType2 would be slightly difficult. My concern is
that the system maintainer will have to install multiple FreeType2
libraries configured for different font managements.

# A portable solution would be a standardization of the file format
# packing a CFR and its component font files into single container.
# I've ever posted such to SC29/WG11/font AHG, and one expert had
# commented it's tolerable idea. Unfortunately, other SC29/WG11/font
# AHG people gave no response - I'm looking for appropriate route to
# standardize it via JTC1.

And, some FreeType2 APIs (mainly getting the indepth content of
the font file, like, FT_Load_Sfnt_Table()) cannot be applied to CFR
directly. Also the consideration of FT_Get_Name_Index(), FT_Get_Char_Index()
would be needed.

Considering these issues, I think some thin wrapper library is expected
to support CFR really; it should provide a subset of FreeType2 APIs and
most of them are just passing the arguments to FreeType2 (after the translation
of CFR face object to appropriate font object). The API syntax is expected
to be same with FreeType2, to minimize the cost to rewrite the application
using FT2 directly.

--

BTW, another issue would be the Unicode layout features of CFR.
I guess the design of CFR assumes that the CFR object is dealt over the

It would be possible to translate the raw glyph index to the fake glyph
index for CFR, but as far as the OpenType supporting code request the
memory image of OpenType layout tables, the 64k glyph limitation is
still existing. I'm not sure if CFR supporting library should provide
the APIs to access OpenType layout table content.

# IMHO, the stake holders of OpenType layout tables and the breakage of
# 64k glyph limitation would be slightly different.

Regards,
mpsuzuki