Re: [ft-devel] controlling FreeType modules

From: Chris Liddell
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] controlling FreeType modules
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:41:33 +0100

On 07/09/12 03:34, Akira TAGOH wrote:
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Chris Liddell
<address@hidden> wrote:
I just think that Freetype should remain an engine which takes a font from
some source, and uses it to to create outline or bitmap glyphs. I would not
like to see Freetype getting sucked into loading fonts by name (even if that
was done by punting off the fontconfig), or gaining any kind of layout
capabilities.

But it's what one has to be done for CFR. otherwise someone needs to
write another library to support CFR, which may has a lot of duplicate
code to FreeType.

I don't see that being the case at all. As Werner mentioned, it could better be implemented as a layer over Freetype.

In truth, I'd say that it is closer to fontconfig's purview that freetype's - although I'll grant it's still far from a perfect fit even for fontconfig, and would be a massive increase in complexity for fontconfig (as, in reality, it would be freetype - see below).

If we start down that road, I can see a *lot* of peripheral stuff coming out of it: we'd probably end up having to implement some of "font matching" heuristics (user asks for "Times,Roman", we're expected to know that actually means "TimesNewRoman" or whatever, or worse, trying to heuristically match font characteristics for missing font files).

I'm struggling to find real documentation on the Win7 composite font thing (I'm being a little careful in my phrasing, I don't want to get mixed up with Postscript composite fonts), but I don't really see the issue with being passed a font file, and the XML character set definitions file, and have the user request freetype use character set "X" with the supplied font. Freetype could validate that the character set is appropriate for the font (I assume that information is available in the XML definition) and assemble a "composed font object" from which to actually render glyphs. Basically, much like a Postscript interpreter does with CIDFont/CMap composing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole Win7 composite font deal sounds to me like a slightly more flexible (and complex) way of storing the data we've previously seen in the cmap tables in TTF/OTF fonts. So, since freetype already handles cmap tables (allowing the user to select between them), this would really just be an extension of that functionality.

Chris