Re: [ft-devel] using pkg-config

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] using pkg-config
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:58:27 +0200 (CEST)

>> I will soon need the HarfBuzz library which doesn't provide a
>> `harfbuzz-config' script.
>
> That would be for GSUB closure I assume?

Yep.

> This will be tricky since it will cause a circular dependency
> between harfbuzz and freetype.  Let me think about it a bit.

Uh, oh.  I currently see only two solutions:

  (1) split HarfBuzz into two libraries
  (2) copy the GSUB closure stuff into FreeType

Solution (1) means a lot of work for you, making HarfBuzz probably
more difficult to maintain, and (2) would be a nasty hack, with the
additional complication that HarfBuzz is written in C++...

Sigh.