[ft-devel] Accelerate TrueType interpreter with JIT compiling?

From: Zoltán Herczeg
Subject: [ft-devel] Accelerate TrueType interpreter with JIT compiling?
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 10:08:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I am Zoltan Herczeg, the developer of the sljit JIT compiler. I am new to
FreeType, but if I understand correctly TrueType hinting is done by a byte-code
interpreter (ttinterp). My question is, is it worth to accelerate this process
by JIT? I mostly saw simple uint32 computations in the code, which can be
translated to sljit instructions (LIR) easily. However, JIT compiling has a
considerable overhead, so it is only worth for frequently used code paths (for
example sljit is used for accelerating regular expressions and network packet
filtering). May I ask the purpose of this interpreter? Is it only used for font
same font (or multiple fonts)? What is the typical program length (number of
bytecode instructions)? Do you have any measurements about the ratio of
interpreted runtime compared to the total time consumed by freetype?

Regards,
Zoltan