Re: [ft-devel] Accelerate TrueType interpreter with JIT compiling?

From: Zoltán Herczeg
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Accelerate TrueType interpreter with JIT compiling?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:12:39 +0200 (CEST)

(Oops, I forgot to CC the list)

Hi,

thank you for the reply.

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> írta:
>I second that.  What's most important is caching of the processed
>glyphs.

This makes sense. If you can cache the results, the interpreter has a fixed,
one-time cost. Are these glyphs stored on the disk?

>There are three parts: A generic one (in the `fpgm' table, usually
>defining functions), a global one (in the `prep' table, to be executed
>right after setting a ppem value), and a local one (the real
>instructions for every glyph, located in the `glyf' table).

Are these programs provided by the font file itself or comes from another
source?

>No, but hinting is quite slow.

Perhaps multithreading can help more here than JIT. I suspect hinting can be
done parallelly.

Regards,
Zoltan