Re: [ft-devel] GX support now working

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GX support now working
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 11:20:20 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Dave!

> Note that Type 1 and CFF fonts that follow the "Black Book"
> guidelines and avoid self-intersecting outlines will render
> correctly with either fill rule.

Yep.  However, sometimes it is not possible to avoid intersections in
GX, especially if you have stuff like the slash in Oslash, which no
longer crosses the `eye' of the `O' glyph if the eye becomes too
small.

> Adobe rasterizers typically use even-odd at small sizes and non-zero
> at larger sizes.

Interesting.  What's the rationale for that?  And which ppem values
are `small sizes'?  I would also like to know whether this is a
general thing, independent of the font format (i.e., TrueType
vs. PostScript outlines).