Re: [ft-devel] max_instructions in ttfautohint

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] max_instructions in ttfautohint
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 20:44:44 -0400

On 8 Jun 2015 8:35 pm, "Behdad Esfahbod" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 15-06-08 05:21 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:
> >
> > On 8 Jun 2015 8:15 pm, "Behdad Esfahbod" <address@hidden
> > <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

> >> Why not they straight releasing it on github?
> >
> > Specifically: It's linked to their rasteriser and they won't share that, so
> > publishing it as-is with the rasterisation parts removed wouldn't be useful.
> >
> > Generally: at such old school companies who have yet to grasp the opportunity
> > costs of being precious with such things, it would be harder to get internal
> > approval for liberating anything outright compared to this method.
>
> So, same thing as Adobe ~1.5 years ago.  They need a *guarantee* that they
> will get contributions.  Which doesn't quite work.  Your best bet is to show
> them that *any* piece of font-related code that has been open sourced has got
> lots of contributions, starting on the day after it was released. :)

I'm not sure it is the same, but overall yes I agree, and I think attempts by such companies to reduce their perceived risk and guarantee contributions become self fulfilling prophecies that reduce contribution because it makes their projects smell bad.

In this case ms isn't some mom and pop shop like Xara, they know full well what they are doing, and this was the only way to salvage the sinking ship that is fontval.