Re: [ft-devel] Announcing FreeType version 2.6

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Announcing FreeType version 2.6
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 07:25:35 +0200 (CEST)

>> It is available from
>>
>>      http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/freetype/
>>
>> or
>>
>>      http://sourceforge.net/projects/freetype/files/
>>

> I don't suppose it'll be available from git just yet -

Well, the tar bundles will never be available with git.  I follow the
philosophy that a repository should not contain files that can be
generated.  This ensures that all generated files are always up to
date if a new version tarball is created.

> but this prompted me to take a look at the various git branches.
> AFAICT nobody's created a stable branch in git since version 2.1.
> Is that a deliberate decision or am I synced to the wrong repo
> maybe??

It's a deliberate decision.  FreeType development happens in small,
incremental steps; I thus consider such a branch unnessary.  If ever,
a new feature gets a separate branch for testing.  Additionally, it
would be extra work to maintain a stable branch.

> I can also see a branch there called "STABLE".  How does that work??
> Does it always reflect the most recent stable branch somehow?

No, it doesn't.  IIRC, `STABLE' was needed due to heavy development
for a short time only, and everything was merged soon again.  To avoid
future confusion, however, I've just renamed it to `STABLE-2-1-0'.