Re: [ft-devel] about that C# fontval (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 125

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] about that C# fontval (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 125, Issue 10)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 23:16:24 +0100

On Wed, 10/6/15, Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:

 On 15-06-10 02:43 PM,
 Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
 > If it works with
 mono, then there is a better chance
 > of
 it getting contributed enhancements, than if
 > it only works with MS C#/.net.

 Isn't C# now open
 source?

 Anyway, if anyone
 from Microsoft reads this, I highly recommend that they
 put
 the code out there and let interested
 people fix it to build and be useful...

I already explained in the part of the e-mail you edited out,
so I'll repeat them again, and expanding them a bit -
not all C# code compilable with MS C# and runable on MS .net
are compilable with mono C# compiler and runable under
mono, for two reasons:

1. subtle differences in language features/implementations
(this is personal experience - I have filed bugs at mono's bugzilla
for code which are compliant and "should work", and only with
with MS C#, but cause mono C# compiler to bail out, crash, etc;
most of those are fixed by the mono people eventually, but sometimes
it took months if not years).

2. C# code can call platform API via P/Invoke, and that makes them
non-portable. typical usage of P/Invoke involves, for example,
calling mshtml - i.e. the core of internet explorer! - to render HTML
or "marked up text" in an embedded window.

Hin-Tak