Re: [ft-devel] rendering speedup

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] rendering speedup
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 16:44:48 +0100 (CET)

> Indeed, he even opened a dedicated website (http://bohoomil.com) but
> I can't find an e-mail address to include him in this
> discussion... I can't speak of him and his interest but I can make
> these patches public to anyone with a desire for them.

Maybe you can add a github issue for his repository...

> Regarding the "right way", I agree that environment variables are to be
> avoided but maybe not completely i.e. allowing just one to select from
> the various built-in sets of settings and/or pointing to a user specific
> custom settings file.

Sorry, no: Environment variables must be *completely* avoided!  There
are operating systems that don't have environment variables at all.

It's OK for me if only a part of the Infinality improvements are added
to upstream FreeType.

> I'm not familiar with the FT_Property_* API but these settings (in
> the struct below) are quite many, lots of work to pass them through
> function calls...

I'm not sure whether all of them are to be configured individually...
Anyway, people might apply patches on top of upstream FreeType to have
environment variable support, but this won't become part of the
official FreeType distribution.