Re: [ft-devel] Announcing FreeType 2.6.2

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Announcing FreeType 2.6.2
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:19:38 +0100

Thank you, I enjoyed it and noticed a typo: auto-shinter.

Perhaps, you are right, Ubuntu cares about the font appearance the
most. If you get them on board, the rest will follow. Do you know
anybody?

Yeah, I noticed the typo, too ;) Notified Werner.

I sadly don't know any Ubuntu-eans. What exactly should they get on board about? Linear alpha blending and gamma correction? Afaik, the Unity 7 desktop relies on GTK->cairo for font rendering and cairo is still missing LAB+GC infrastructure, Behdad said something about this being more complicated though. Not idea if Canonical is even interested in contributing something there if they want to move to Unity 8 on Qt... But oh well. Maybe I'll try to reach someone from the design team.

What's still preventing libraries from really picking up the stem darkening capability is that there's no official stable API that works on FT_Library level for all font engines. And I have no experience with API design and may be short on time in at least the near future. Hm.