Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:55:08 -0400

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am still not convinced that this is a good idea to deploy two
> versions in parallel.  That LEAN suffix will stay long after
> Infinality is gone.

Maybe there is a better macro name?

How about
#define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING 40
meaning that if the value is set to 40 use new algorithm, otherwise use Infinality.

> Why can't you just replace Infinality? I doubt that Infinality
> itself was tested and maintained enough to be protected species.

AFAIK, there is a huge user base, with a lot of variations on the used
parameters.  FreeType is a mature library, and suddenly changing such
broadly used features is not user friendly IMHO.

Additionally, having the two in parallel allows better comparison.

Well, if the new algorithm looks better, nobody will even notice. Does it look good?