Re: [ft-devel] implementing detection of hinting/rasterization errors in

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] implementing detection of hinting/rasterization errors in fonts
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 18:10:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 2/7/16, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

 I found that bit of code inside Compute_Func when I was
 looking for
> > other examples of
 manipulating those same variables to simplify my
> > error detection code inside Direct_Move .
 It is another case of "Oh,
> > you
 already did it, silently, years ago!".

 > :-)

 > However, such situations are usually marked
 with `XXX: UNDOCUMENTED!'.
 > So please
 report all such occurrences without this remark so that
 > we
 can add it.

I can certainly imagine many of the 60 or so errors flagged by the 2003 font
validator are simply silently worked around in freetype, without explicitly
stating so.
It will just take time to document them. I imagine some 20 years ago it was
easier to say, I have this font, it seems to work on windows and doesn't on
freetype, please make it work on freetype, and one of you made it so; instead
of fixing the font itself to make the font better. Font validator came after
:-).

That silent workaround was in the initial freetype2 commit in 1999... I was
curious when that was introduced, so I went and cloned freetype1 from savannah,
and found that it was in the initial freetype1's entry to savannah also:

commit 66b7617a0fc0e1ff48d79fe4d287b054c70a6ba2
Author: robert <robert>
Date:   Wed Sep 24 12:51:20 1997 +0000

    Initial revision

Is there any repository for freetype 1 earlier than 1997 ? :-).

Hin-Tak