Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 23:54:30 +0200 (CEST)

>> Right now, there is no possibility by a user (or by the system
>> administrator) to influence the default rendering setup of FreeType
>> at run-time.  Setting an environment variable is approximately
>> equal to setting the font rendering parameters in the system
>> configuration of MS Windows, say.
>
> I am just very sure how early an environment variable needs to be
> set for it to pick up - fontconfig is system-wide and
> user-overridable, it would be nice to put this setting there.  As
> is, since the X server itself has some dependency on freetype, it
> may not be enough to put it in the user's bashrc/profile?

IMHO, as mentioned in another mail, fontconfig is the wrong place.  It
only *returns* the font configuration, as far as I know; it *does not
set* font configuration parameters.

Regarding X11: I don't know when xft gets called.  At least for
GNU/Linux, however, it is possible to set environment variables before
X11 starts (using the `.xinitrc' file for xinit, config files for
systemd, etc.).

> BTW, I already picked up the mac linkage fix from git.

OK :-)