Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world" - BUG FIX

From: Graham Asher
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world" - BUG FIX
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 15:06:23 +0100

I have found the bug causing the crash in my C version of the new floating-point rasterizer.

It was possible for the accumulation array to be written using an illegal index of -1. The cause was that when the DrawLine code steps through the y values - the raster lines - it increments the x value by dxdy, which is (dx / dy). That float value will inevitably sometimes be imprecise, causing the x value to become just less than 1. For example, if a line is drawn from (0.484375,0.34375) to (0,0.771965563), dxdy ought to be -1.131147585..., but is rounded to the float value -1.13114762. In the first and only raster line, dy is 0.428215563, so x = 0.48375 and xnext (the next value of x) is x + dy * dxdy = -2.98023224e-08 - NOT zero, as it should be, but a small way below zero: so when the array index x01 is set to the next integer below nextx it becomes -1.

Therefore the statement

float x0floor = (float)floor(x0);

becomes

float x0floor = x0 <= 0.0f ? 0.0f : (float)floor(x0);

with an explanatory comment. It goes without saying that changing from float to double would not fix the problem, only make it somewhat rarer.

I have uploaded the new version to http://www.cartotype.com/assets/downloads/raster_fp/ .

This was quite hard to debug because a write to the four bytes just before the start of a heap block does not cause an immediate crash. The crash happens when the block is deallocated. I added explicit array checking code, turned off optimisation in the release build of the CartoType demo (the debug build was too slow), ran it in the VS2015 debugger and caught the bug on about the thirty-one-millionth array access.

Raph, you might like to check whether your Rust code has the same problem. I suspect that it does, because the lines (lines 69-70 in raster.rs)

let x0floor = x0.floor();
let x0i = x0floor as i32;

don't appear to prevent x0floor or x0i from being negative.

- Graham