Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 23:32:46 +0200 (CEST)

> so I finally got around implementing a concept: a new API entry
> point `FT_Face_SetStemDarkening( FT_Face face, FT_Bool enable )`.

What is the intended scenario for this function?  What type of
application is going to use it?

> It toggles a new member of FT_FaceRec `no_stem_darkening`.

You can't modify `FT_FaceRec' since it would break ABI.  However, you
can add stuff to `FT_Face_InternalRec'; this seems to be sufficient
for your proposal.

> To get rid of duplication, the `no_stem_darkening` property should
> probably be removed from the drivers and the darkening_parameters
> moved to FT_Face.
>
> So, comments?

If we are going to move properties from `FT_Library' to `FT_Face', I
would rather like to have a generic interface that manages options for
`FT_Face': something like an `FT_Face_Option' function, probably using
the `FT_Parameter' structure so that arbitrary data can be set (and
retrieved).