Re: [ft-devel] [ft] Another problem with X11 PCF fonts and 2.7.1, now wi

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [ft] Another problem with X11 PCF fonts and 2.7.1, now with bisect
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 23:00:12 +0100 (CET)

Jonny,

> Intentionally releasing new features (turning them ON by default) in
> a patch release is unacceptable behaviour from any serious project.

I underestimated the effect of the PCF change; the next version will
have this feature off – I have already written that to the mailing
list.  Maybe you've missed this.

> Major number increase: New features that might break backwards
>                        compatibility
> Minor number increase: New features that DOESN'T break backwards
>                        compatibility (thus new feature but turned
>                        OFF default)
> Micro/path number increase: Only bug fixes

For me, `backwards compatibility' is something related to the ABI.  I
have the feeling that you are mixing up software release numbers with
DLL versions.  Have a look into `docs/VERSIONS.TXT'.

> Even your news page states something in the line of "finally we have
> a new 'minor' number increase so we can change default ..." (!)  No
> really you can NOT do that in a minor version number bump, you do
> that in a major number bump!

Definitely not.  FreeType 3 would be a major redesign of the library
coming with a new API.  In other words, new features are handled with
the `minor' number in the source tarball.  Again: the versioning
scheme of the tarball is *completely irrelevant* to the backwards
compatibility of the ABI.

> Your current ignorance to the versioning standard is not only
> frustrating but directly causing major problems for distributions
> and its users.

Pfft.  You are greatly exaggerating.  You are the *first* one who
brings up this complaint!

> Please take some responsibility and comply with the standard or
> ignore the versioning system and go with systemd-like versioning.

It's not clear to me why the tone of your e-mail is so hostile.  Who
are you in the software world to complain about `frustration' and
`major problems for distributions and its users'?  Can you give some
evidence for your claims?  And yes, I have read `semver.org' – since
FreeType uses libtool, it relates to DLL versions and *not* to the
tarball versions.