Re: [ft-devel] gasp table support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gasp table support
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 07:36:22 +0200 (CEST)

>> there are good reasons to use it...
>
> Which are? :D

I assume this is a rhetorical question, but I guess it isn't obvious
to everyone, so I'm answering it :-)

In most cases the designer of a font know best how to display the font
in an optimal way.  In particular, manual hinting of a font often
works correctly for the specified gasp sizes only.

> Shouldn't honoring the GASP table be the default for the native
> TrueType hinter, no load flags necessary?

This is exactly the question.  Basically, using the `gasp' table is
diametral to the FreeType API, where you select a mode how *all*
fonts, regardless of their formats, should look like.  For example, if
you select `smooth' rendering, it can be surprising if you suddenly
get B/W rendering for some fonts at certain sizes.

What about a TrueType driver property that switches `gasp' table
handling on and off, with the default set to off?