Re: [ft-devel] [smooth] Implement minimal dynamic padding for LCD filter

From: Markus Trippelsdorf
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [smooth] Implement minimal dynamic padding for LCD filtering. -- Still breaks Firefox
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 08:00:25 +0200

On 2017.05.29 at 14:34 -0400, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
> > On May 29, 2017, at 11:29, Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > so I can't use freetype master on my system if Firefox and Skia are
> > broken by the change. What needs to be done to fix this?
>
> This was my email to Ben:
>
> There you go. This change breaks Skia:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=ab2599ea3f09ba8da4f50b877021d23241d22609
>
> This is what Skia shoudl not do by itself
> https://skia.googlesource.com/skia/+/master/src/ports/SkFontHost_FreeType.cpp#1180
>
> This is a Skia issue that I opened
> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/skia/issues/detail?id=6663

I think you cannot simply break Firefox/Chrome for a minor optimization.
What will happen when the next FreeType version gets released?
All distros will have to revert your patch to not break the browsers.

So yes, it is wrong that Skia doesn't use the size and offset returned
by FreeType. But even if Skia fixes it, it will take a while before the
fix reaches all users.

--
Markus