Re: [ft-devel] Loading empty bitmap fails?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Loading empty bitmap fails?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 17:57:26 +0200 (CEST)

>> > How do the Apple and MS rendering engines behave?
>
>> Donno.  MS supports CBDT fonts.  I have not tested.  Don't have a
>> Windows machine or access to one these days.
>
> The closely related EBDT code in Font Validator is available.  That
> said, it is probably not very indicative of how MS rendering engine
> behaves, since it is all in C#.  I think Microsoft's C code for EBDT
> likely came from Apple's bdat(?) code another decade before that, so
> Apple and MS rendering behavior may be similar.

You are probably misunderstanding.  *Of course* Microsoft and Apple
support colour bitmap fonts (or rather, bitmap strikes).  The question
is how those platforms behave for glyph IDs without a bitmap.  I
suppose they do as Behdad suggest, this is, returning an empty bitmap
with the given advance width (or height).