Re: [ft-devel] Upstreaming freetype diagnostics patches

From: Felipe Sanches
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Upstreaming freetype diagnostics patches
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 11:31:50 -0300

Felipe, you have to be aware that the target of FreeType is *not* font
validation.  For this reason some errors necessary by FontValidator
will never be reported by FreeType, which instead tries to understand
even malformed fonts as much as possible.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that and that's perfectly fine! The strategy here is to log the issues that freetype currently detects without causing any unnecessary burden on the code's primary goal.

Thanks for your kind words, Werner. For the sake of wrapping my head around it all, I've setup a git repo in which I applied HinTak's public patches on top of freetype's 2.6.4 tagged-commit. (I may at some point do the same to the tip of the master branch as well). There's nothing new there right now but I may possibly be adding further improvements to the code later in that repo.

https://github.com/felipesanches/freetype2

cheers,
Felipe Sanches