[ft-devel] [Rendering Regressions] Outlines vs. Bitmaps

From: Armin Hasitzka
Subject: [ft-devel] [Rendering Regressions] Outlines vs. Bitmaps
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 13:41:56 +0100

Hi,

as suggested by Werner, I currently look into using outlines as a (considerably faster) means to detect rendering regressions. I do understand that the outlines of glyphs should definitely be checked. However, I wonder if it is enough to guarantee "no rendering regressions" by just comparing the outlines and without checking the rendered bitmaps?

To get a feeling for that matter, it would help me to understand where most changes of FreeType happen and where versions differ the most. Concretely: is the outline-to-bitmap algorithm definitive and final or is it subject to (probably subtle) changes every now and then?

Thanks for your input and have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Armin