Re: [ft-devel] CMake patches from Microsoft's vcpkg project

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] CMake patches from Microsoft's vcpkg project
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 13:45:15 +0000

So I've been trying to make the CMakeLists.txt file a bit neater. CMake is sadly not an elegant build system...

Here's what I have so far: https://github.com/madig/freetype2/blob/modernize-cmake-build/CMakeLists.txt

I cribbed the SO version thing from https://git.libssh.org/projects/libssh.git -- contains more examples and is touted by the #cmake IRC channel as a good example.

One difference is in how export/import attributes are triggered. Compare

https://git.libssh.org/projects/libssh.git/tree/include/libssh/libssh.h?id=c3c492a190475a96bddcfe3a10da74f7a0e0baba#n24

with

https://github.com/madig/freetype2/blob/5bd76524ef786d942b28dc52618aeda3aebfa3d6/include/freetype/config/ftconfig.h#L456

I have to pass in FT2_BUILD_LIBRARY for static and shared builds, otherwise I get plenty of errors. Shouldn't this only be necessary for shared builds?

Also, do we need the VC project build definitions? CMake 3.0 supports Visual Studio 6 up to 12 for example. I would remove them.