[ft-devel] Custom search functionality & Python3 compatibility of 'docma

From: Ankit Dhankhar
Subject: [ft-devel] Custom search functionality & Python3 compatibility of 'docmaker'
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 18:05:03 +0530

Hi everyone,

  While exploring for the policy to be used for converting source code to markdown (though most  of the necessary modules are implemented in http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/src/tools/docmaker it is found that only implementing a module named tomarkdown.py similar to tohtml.py, it can be achieved with some minor modifications in other files as well but in addition to that reference record can be created for which the conversion pass has to be modified in order to make entries in record,     corresponding to reference record, secondary pass has to be made to get reference link of implementation of these functions in `*.c' files as done in some of libraries like http://pytorch.org/docs/stable/nn.html# (where source code of function is shown/rendered on website itself) & https://keras.io/layers/core/ (wherein for source code, a reference is made to the code repository). This record may also be used for improvement of UI of https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-index.html and as link will be made relative to this reference table, so while deploying online, it will make reference link on website and when accessed offline it will make reference to offline pages.

   Will this functionality will be helpful for the FreeType community? As in the examples of libraries mentioned above are having a good UX due to this feature.

  I think this functionality will be helpful for the community for easy reference of code and improve the UI/UX of website. Though this functionality is not mentioned in my proposal but it will help me to implement custom search functionality for easy accessibility which is mentioned in my proposal.

Docmaker currently works with python2 only, I made some minor modification so that they are compatible with python3 as well and removed some unused imports.

Regards,

Ankit