Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Custom search functionality & Python3 compatibility

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Custom search functionality & Python3 compatibility of 'docmaker'
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 05:07:09 +0200 (CEST)

> As Hin-Tak mentioned, it is possible and relatively easy to support
> both 2.7 and 3.x in the same code base. One library I used
> personally is future: http://python-future.org/quickstart.html

BTW, this comes with a `futurize' script to convert Python 2 code to
something compatible with Python 3 – maybe option `--stage1' is
sufficient...

> I'd write Python 3 code and use future to make it work on Py2.

For quick-fixing docmaker in `master' I would rather not do that,
trying to use just the absolute minimum of changes.

> I furthermore recommend looking at a code formatter like yapf (or,
> if you're feeling edgy, black on GitHub) and maybe even hook it into
> a format-on-save thing so you spend your brain cycles on more
> important things.

Again, this might be something for Nikhit's GSoC work, not for the
`master' version.