Re: -warmup

From: chris
Subject: Re: -warmup
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:18:50 +0200

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 11:02:49 +0000 (UTC), Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> To summarize: Benchmark comparisons only work if there is a sound
> mathematical foundation to reduce the noise.

I am probably not qualified, but I am following the discussion for some
time. And I think there is a problem with the benchmarking itself. If I
understand correctly the nice tables show the same code on the same
machine so 40% difference or so is not ok.

I had a quick look at ftbench.c and I have the impression that the
timer ist using by clock_gettime for every single iteration twice. I
had expected to do N iterations with a single clock_gettime before and
after N iterations. If the benchmarked code is short this will
accumulate errors that cannot be removed afterwards. But I may be
wrong...

Greetings, chris