Re: -warmup

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: -warmup
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:17:04 +0000 (UTC)

Ahmet,

> I have edited the code aligning with the Hin-Tak’s suggestion. Here
> is the two results pages, also pushed on gitlab.

Thanks.  It seems to me we are getting nearer.  However, there are
still large differences.

* Chris mentioned a potential problem with `clock_gettime` in the
  code of `ftbench.c`.  Please have a look.

* As mentioned a few times already in previous e-mails I think we need
  some code to increase the run time for individual tests.  For
  example, the line

  ```
  Load_Advances (Fast)   47500   202   284   -40.6
  ```

  indicates that 47500 iterations only took 202µs vs. 284µs – due to
  the 'CPU noise' I think this interval is far too short to be
  meaningful.

  For example, if the cumulative time for test X is less than a
  certain threshold, increase N so that the cumulative time is very
  near to the threshold.  This value, if performed by the 'baseline',
  should be stored in a configuration file so that the 'benchmark'
  stage can extract this information to use exactly the same N value
  for test X.

  Please work on that.

* It would be great if you could use a statistics program of your
  choice and prepare some diagrams of the most problematic cases that
  show the actual timing distributions graphically.  Right now, we
  only see the final cumulative value; however, it would be most
  interesting to see more details of the timing slots.

  For example, I can imagine that you add some `printf` calls
  (printing to a buffer, which gets dumped to stdout or whatever
  *after* the tests); then GNU plot or something similar can generate
  diagrams.