The current state of rendering and overlap

From: Skef Iterum
Subject: The current state of rendering and overlap
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 01:10:57 -0800

Hello -

I've been looking into various FreeType issues related to the combination of CFF2 and hinting. As part of that I ran into the phenomenon represented in the attached capture of ftgrid. Which, to summarize, has a rendering artifact caused by overlap.

It seemed like the simplest answer to this was to mark all outlines extracted from a CFF2 font as FT_OUTLINE_OVERLAP, because there's no inexpensive method of detecting it. And so I added code to do that and verified it was heeded in ftsmooth.c -- but the ftgrid output didn't look any different.

So I thought I would ask here: Is this what can be expected given the path data or is there something else I should be looking at tweaking?

Thanks,
Skef Iterum (Adobe, Inc.)