[Freetype] Looking for a volunteer

From: Max Bloch
Subject: [Freetype] Looking for a volunteer
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:55:39 +0100

Hi Freetypers:

I am looking for a volunteer to help me set up Freetype on a BSD driven
box. I am an absolute novice when it comes to BSD (or Unix in general)
and compiling software. I have tried installing the latest release of
Freetype2 but got the following error message when typing "make" that
makes me feel completely lost:

----8<----------------------------
srvr01# make
"/freetype-2.0/Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
"/freetype-2.0/Makefile", line 28: Need an operator
"/freetype-2.0/./builds/toplevel.mk", line 46: Need an operator
"/freetype-2.0/./builds/toplevel.mk", line 48: Need an operator
"/freetype-2.0/./builds/toplevel.mk", line 59: Missing dependency o
perator
"/freetype-2.0/./builds/toplevel.mk", line 61: Need an operator
Error expanding embedded variable.
------------------------->8-----

I don't have a clue what to do and feel totally lost. I would very much
like to work with Freetype though to create font previews on the fly in
png or gif format for a website project of mine, where I am building a
download platform for freeware/shareware truetype/postscript fonts for
windows and mac.

Ultimately, I wish to set up an interactive font previewer that works
with truetype as well as postscript fonts, somewhat like the freetype
demo under http://www.troja.mff.cuni.cz/~peak/ftdemo . If you know how
to set this up on a BSD driven machine, I would be more than grateful if
you could help me out. I can't imagine this being too complicated or
time consuming for someone who has done it all before, just for me it
seems impossible. Please get in touch with me if you think you can help
me out. If there are any Germans on this list, ich spreche auch deutsch.

Thanks in advance...

...Max