Re: [Freetype] Could people avoid sending attachments to the list?

From: Sander van der Wal
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Could people avoid sending attachments to the list?
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:19:15 +0200

> Sander,
>
> > Mmm.. imagine somebody on a GPRS network. Every byte has to be
paid
> > for. And it is leading eadge technology...
>
> Yes, and imagine that I have a 300 baud modem.  What exactly is the
> point?

I already made my point: by *not* sending these attachments nobody has
a problem, irrespective of their particular circumstances.

> I think you're working mighty hard to find a reason to prevent
something
> as simple as email attachments.  Look ,the person who sent the large
one
> has already apologized and mentioned it was an accident.  Since that
ONE
> time, there have been two, count them two entire 20 KB images
attached.
> Sander, do you personally have a problem with a pair of 20 kb
> attachments?

That's me, being stupid enough to react to such a message 8-\

The only thing I did was give an example of a 'slow' network that
might not be considered out-of-date. I haven't complained neither
about the size nor about the content of these attachments. So please
don't act as if I did.

> > Another option migth be a separate list for binaries/images, if
the
> > filtering options isn't feasable.
>
> Can you explain the benefit of creating separate lists just so that
we
> can prevent the passage of 40 kb of data?

It is common courtesy on mailing lists like this not to add
attachments.

If it becomes usance to add screenshots of fonts (with or without
rendering problems), I prefer not to receive them. If the filtering
option as proposed by you doesn't work, I rather have a separate list
for these screen shots than having them in this list. I have my
reasons for this. I am sure you have your reasons.

Sander van der Wal