[Freetype] External stream

From: Michael Jansson
Subject: [Freetype] External stream
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:21:27 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to use FT_Open_Face() to open a font with a home brewed stream and am having a problem. The docs states that I'm not supposed to poke at the 'memory' field of my custom 'FT_Stream_Rec_' structure, as it is supposed to be set by the lib. However, I'm getting a crash (null point reference when stream->memory is used) if I don't. Is this a know problem?

Adding these lines to src/base/ftobjs.c (from the current stable build 2.0.4) would be one solution:
204a205,208

>         /* Use default memory pool from the library if none is provided. */
>         if (stream->memory==NULL)
>                 stream->memory = memory;

Another approach would be to lift the FT_Memory structure from /internal/ftobjs.h, which currently seems to suggest that this is private stuff. If so, then FT_New_Memory() could be used. However, there is no FT_Done_Memory as far as I can tell. Simply calling free() on the struct would not work, if the client may use a different memory manager than what was used when the FreeType lib was compiled.  Anyway, I prefer adding the lines above to ftobjs.c as this is a cleaner solution.

Am I missing something? Am I the only one trying to use my own stream implementation?

Thanks,
- Michael