[Freetype] Source of public domain fonts?

From: Dave Williss
Subject: [Freetype] Source of public domain fonts?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:35:56 -0600

I am in search of a truly public-domain TrueType font that I can include
in our software package.
For windows we just find the True Type fonts that Windows knows about
and use FreeType to render them.  Same on the Mac (Mac OS 9.X
anyway.  I have yet to determine where they are on Mac OS X and
if they have TrueType or what).
The main problem is on Unix.  There's no standard place to store fonts
and they typically don't even have TrueType fonts available.  So I need
to supply one or two to fall back on.  Ideally, I'd like three fonts:
One fixed (courier-ish), one sans-serif (arial-ish or helvetica-ish) and
one serif (times-ish) font.  We wouldn't mind paying for said fonts
as long as we would have permission to distribute them with our
product royalty-free.  Royalties would be hard to work out since
anybody can download a free limited-use version of our software.

 -- Dave Williss
------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup