Re: [Freetype] Source of public domain fonts?

From: Thomas Hudson
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Source of public domain fonts?
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 00:36:35 -0800

Dave Williss wrote:

The main problem is on Unix.  There's no standard place to store fonts

and they typically don't even have TrueType fonts available.

At least on Linux the convention is  /usr/share/fonts/truetype for
most of the distributions I've used.

to supply one or two to fall back on.  Ideally, I'd like three fonts:

One fixed (courier-ish), one sans-serif (arial-ish or helvetica-ish) and

one serif (times-ish) font.  We wouldn't mind paying for said fonts

as long as we would have permission to distribute them with our

product royalty-free.  Royalties would be hard to work out since

anybody can download a free limited-use version of our software.

Actually you still may want to check with some of the font houses
like Bitstream, etc. Some have deals where you pay a set fee for
several quality fonts, and don't have to pay royalties for the first
'x' free downloads, where 'x' is very reasonable.

You can find free fonts on the web, however, the quality varies,
and most are non-traditional.

Thomas