[Freetype] FreeType 2.0.9 Released

From: David Turner
Subject: [Freetype] FreeType 2.0.9 Released
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:07:55 +0100

Hello,

  I'd like to announce that FreeType 2.0.9 has finally been released a few
  days ago. I couldn't announce it due to minor mail server problems but
  everything can now be grabbed from the main site, SourceForge or any of
  the mirrors..

Enjoy,

- David Turner

  I. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES

    - Certain fonts, like "foxjump.ttf" contain broken name tables with
      invalid entries and wild offsets.  This caused FreeType to crash when
      trying to load them.

      The SFNT 'name' table loader has been fixed to be able to support
      these strange fonts.

      Moreover, the code in charge of processing this table has been changed
      to always favor Windows-formatted entries over other ones.  Hence, a
      font that works on Windows but not on the Mac will load cleanly in
      FreeType and report accurate values for Family & Postscript names.

    - The CID font driver has been fixed.  It unfortunately returned a
      Postscript Font name with a leading slash, as in
      "/MunhwaGothic-Regular".

    - FreeType 2 should now compile fine on AIX 4.3.3 as a shared library.

    - A bug in the Postscript hinter has been found and fixed. You shouldn't
      be experimenting un-even stem widths at small pixel sizes (like 14-17).

      This improves the quality of a certain number of Postscript fonts :o)

  II. NEW FEATURES:

    - A new function named FT_Library_Version has been added to return
      the current library's major, minor and patch version numbers. This
      is important since the macros FREETYPE_MAJOR, FREETYPE_MINOR and
      FREETYPE_PATCH cannot be used when the library is dynamically linked
      by a program..

    - Two new APIs have been added: FT_Get_First_Char and FT_Get_Next_Char.

      Together, these can be used to iterate efficiently over the currently
      selected charmap of a given face.  Read the API reference for more
      details.

  III. MISCELLANEOUS:

    - The FreeType sources are under heavy internal re-factoring.  As a
      consequence, we have created a branch named "STABLE" on the CVS to
      hold all future releases/fixes in the 2.0.x family.

      The HEAD branch now contains the re-factored sources and shouldn't be
      used for testing or packaging new releases.  In the cases where you
      would like to access the 2.0.9 sources from our CVS repository, you
      should use the tag VER-2-0-9.