Re: [Freetype] Legacy software and bitmap-only snfts [was: FreeTypebug r

From: Brian Stell
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Legacy software and bitmap-only snfts [was: FreeTypebug report]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:51:59 -0700

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Yet most people agree that XFree86 needs to support bitmap fonts for
> the foreseeable future.  Are you arguing otherwise?

Not at all. I just do not see that we get much by repackaging
them. I would much rather see *new* effort put into put into
something that supports printing and higher resolution
screens. In a few years we are likely to have a reasonable
selection of outline fonts in the open source market and I
can easily see developers writing code to detect and not use
these old fonts since they cannot be printed.

Brian Stell