[Freetype] how does freetype handle combining character for unicode

From: Ziying Sherwin
Subject: [Freetype] how does freetype handle combining character for unicode
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:00:53 -0400 (EDT)

We installed php 4.2.2 with freetype 1.3.1 on our solaris 2.8 machine.  We
are using function imagettftext to convert UTF8 string to image file for
Internet display. However, it seems that this function does not handle the
combining characters properly.  For instance, the sequence of unicode
characters U+0061(a) and U+0308 (combining diacritics) is display as two
characters: a and a square indicating not displayable. The correct result should
be a character identical to U+00E4.

We are wondering where the normalization is handled in this case, freetype
library or inside imagettftext php function? Is it a bug in freetype library?
If not, how can we fix it?

Thanks,

Ziying Sherwin

P.S. I am not on the mailing list, please send your response to
address@hidden