[Freetype] Re: [Devel] how does freetype handle combining character for

From: David Turner
Subject: [Freetype] Re: [Devel] how does freetype handle combining character for unicode
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 01:12:21 +0200

Hello,

Ziying Sherwin wrote:
We installed php 4.2.2 with freetype 1.3.1 on our solaris 2.8 machine. We are using function imagettftext to convert UTF8 string to image file for Internet display. However, it seems that this function does not handle the combining characters properly. For instance, the sequence of unicode characters U+0061(a) and U+0308 (combining diacritics) is display as two characters: a and a square indicating not displayable. The correct result should
be a character identical to U+00E4.

We are wondering where the normalization is handled in this case, freetype
library or inside imagettftext php function? Is it a bug in freetype library?
If not, how can we fix it?
FreeType doesn't handle normalization or even glyph substitutions like ligatures
directly. This must be implemented on top of it. You should probably look inside
imagettftext then...

Regards,

- David Turner

Thanks,