[Freetype] Freetype 1.3.1 vs Freetype2 on a brand-new SuSE install

From: Randy Burgess
Subject: [Freetype] Freetype 1.3.1 vs Freetype2 on a brand-new SuSE install
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:48:49 +0800

I'm new to Linux, still sorting out fonts. I see that SuSE 8.1 has gifted me
with both Freetype 1.3.1 and Freetype2 2.0.9.

I want to update Freetype2 to the latest release, and while I'm at it, I'm
wondering if it's OK to get rid of Freetype 1.3.1 I don't understand what it's
doing there in the first place, since Freetype2 doco says that the two versions
aren't really compatible. Am I wrong/right/in between?
http://www.operamail.com
Now with OperaMail Premium for only US$29.99/yr