[Freetype] disabled antialiasing looks strange

From: g-a-p
Subject: [Freetype] disabled antialiasing looks strange
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:13:27 +0100 (MET)

Here's my problem using freetype (Version 2.1.4 RC1) with gd (Version
2.0.11) in PHP (version 4.2.2)scripts:
I generate images with text using the following PHP statement:

ImageTTFText($image,$font_size,0,21,17,$fcolor,$font_file,$txt);

Accoring to the PHP documentation, the antialiasing can be turned off by
making the fontcolor ($fcolor in my example) negativ. Unfortunately, the output
is quite strange. Here're some examples:

With antialiasing turned ON (font is Arial):
http://bg.eroes.de/temp/mit.png
With antialiasing turned OFF:
http://bg.eroes.de/temp/ohne.png
Looks like the antialiasing is not correctly turned off...

I don't know if this is a problem with GD, Truetype or maybe even PHP...

Any ideas?

Chris
address@hidden