Re: [Freetype] Helvetica-Oblique.pfa font on Solaris, IRIX

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Helvetica-Oblique.pfa font on Solaris, IRIX
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:00:46 +0200

Hello Albert,

Albert Chin wrote:
I build Qt 3.1.2 with fontconfig 2.1.92 for antialias support. I
started qtconfig and enabled antialias support. I quite qtconfig and
restarted it, only to find that the font it selected for a "normal"
font was Helvetica-Oblique.pfa, not Helvetica.pfa. The reason for this
is detection by fontconfig that the slant value of the font was "0".
Looking at the font in pfaedit confirms this. However, I just looked
at the raw Helvetica-Oblique.pfa file and see this:
  /ItalicAngle -12 def

I'm using FreeType 2.1.2.

Strange, strange. FreeType doesn't expose the /ItalicAngle property, but
it uses it to determine wether to set the "italic" bit flag in
face->style_flags.

I suspect that your font is a "synthetic type 1"  that embeds the normal
Type 1 font within additionnal code to "slant" it artificially. FreeType
is supposed to handle these cases well, so I'm a bit surprised.

Could you send me this font privately so that I study it ?

Regards,

- David Turner