Re: [Freetype] metric differences Freetype vs. Truetype

From: Marc L Cohen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] metric differences Freetype vs. Truetype
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:27:22 -0500

>On 29-Apr-2003 Marc L Cohen wrote:
>>>Yes, the hinter can change the width of a gliph.
>>
>> There is a difference between changing the width of the ink of a glyph
and
>> the advance width
>
>AFAI have seen, it can change both, but I may be wrong.
>
>> Changing the advance width can
>> have very serious effects on the layout of text, especially the nuerals,
>> which should all have the same advance width to allow vertical columns
of
>> the digits.
>
>If you need vertical alignment, you should use a monospaced font.
Otherwise
>you may have problems. IIRC M$ Arial digits seem to have all the same
width,
>but "2113" is shorter than "2131" because there are two consecutive "1".

Actually, my experiments with MS Arial (not using Freetype, but with a
couple other renderers such as the Windows renderer and the OS/2 renderer)
show that number columns do align up, that the advance width of all the
digits is maintained identical. The "1"s have extra space left to the left
and the right to maintain the even advance width.

>Bye.

Marc L. Cohen
Internal:address@hidden
Internet:address@hidden