Re: [Freetype] 40-bit longs

From: Sander Vesik
Subject: Re: [Freetype] 40-bit longs
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:55:35 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I'm contemplating a port to the TI DM642 DSP.  One issue that's sure
to crop up is the size of longs on this platform.  ULONG_MAX is
1099511627775, but sizeof returns 8 due to alignment issues. [...]

Weird.

DSP-s are special purpose hardware, it looks like they set the length of long to be that of teh accumulator (which makes sense as a += b*c and similar will be able to then be coded to not to overrun). the sizeof hack is just a product of no software out there knowing what to do with non power of two sizeofs (yes, its a gross hack)

        Sander

Daniel Carrera: I think I'll stick to simple things like
the 5-dimensional gravity paper I'm reading.