Re: [Freetype] font file

From: Dave Williss
Subject: Re: [Freetype] font file
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:11:48 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 7:29 AM

> > I have japanese font file MSGOTHIC.TTC.  With this fontfile, I can
> > select font style regular, italic and bold italic in MS-Word
> > processor.
>
> Yes, MS-Word (or rather, MS Windows) creates slanted and bold styles,
> but msgothic itself doesn't contain them.
>
> > I think it is also possible to create a FT_Face to get a required
> > font style's character image or outline.  Am I right?
>
> Slanted is rather easy (but quite ugly for CJK scripts); just apply a
> shearing transformation.  To make a face bold can be done with
> FreeType also -- have a look into ftsynth.c (this code is still
> experimental).

When an actual bold font isn't available, I fake it by drawing the text
twice,
once where I want it and once more one pixel to the right.  This works
well enough at small sizes.  For bigger sizes just repeat 2 pixels to the
right
and so on until it looks good.

I do fake italics when necessary using Warner's shearing suggestion.  About
16 degrees, as I recall

 -- Dave Williss
------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup