Re: [Freetype] zlib question

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] zlib question
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:39:14 +0200

Shawn Yarbrough wrote:

I'm a developer wanting to compile and statically link
FreeType into an existing program of mine.  This is
(unfortunantly) on win32/VC++6.

What's so unfortunate about that ?

> I've added the FreeType project file into my existing
> workspace and it seems to compile correctly.

My application already links statically with zlib,
version 1.2.1.  I notice that FreeType contains it's
own copy of zlib, but version 1.1.4.

Do you think the double inclusion of zlib will be a
problem?  If so, is there an easy way for me to make
FreeType use my more recent copy of zlib?  [ please
reply directly as I do not subscribe to this list ]

It may or may not be a problem, but I don't know much about
these two versions of the library to tell.

Anyway, the very simple solution to this situation is
to define the macro FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SYSTEM_ZLIB when
compiling FreeType 2. This can be done as a compiler
argument, or by changing line 146 of
include/freetype/config/ftoption.h.

In this specific case, FreeType will not include its own
copy of the ZLib, but rely on what's available at compilation
time. You may need to add the include path to your copy of
the Zlib so that "zlib.h" is properly found though...

VoilĂ ,

- David Turner

Thanks!

Shawn Yarbrough