Re: [ft] Library versioning

From: Will Newton
Subject: Re: [ft] Library versioning
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:20:17 +0100

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 05:36, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> This is a difficult issue.  The cache interface has been declared (and
> still is, IIRC) as experimental, not really part of the rest of the
> FreeType code.  Increasing the current/age and major/minor numbers of
> the DLL seems not appropriate for me.

If the interfaces are available in the standard headers and shared lib then it
is part of the API and removing it breaks that. Debian relies heavily on
sonames for dependency management so you are more likely to see breakage
there than elsewhere, we treat libraries with identical sonames as drop in
replacements which is not the case here, hence the breakage.

I have also attached a diff of the dynamic symbols listed in 2.1.7 and 2.1.10
and it looks like a number of things have been added (which should increase
libtool AGE anyway) and a few removed, although I'm not sure how important
those symbols are.

In terms of finding a solution to this problem, it would be useful for Debian
if there was another release of FreeType with only the soname bumped.
I do not want to change the library soname in Debian unilaterally, because
obviously that will break things when you bump the soname in future releases.
Would this be possible?