Re: [ft] Outline questions

From: Michele Petrazzo
Subject: Re: [ft] Outline questions
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:38:39 +0200

Chia I Wu wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:21:27AM +0200, Michele Petrazzo wrote:

Hello list,
with some code that I found on this list :), I retrieve a character
glyph outline's (for now a simple "I" into Arial font).
All work well, but I have two questions:

with this code [1], I see that freetype say me:

outline 0 from point 0 to point 3
point 0  x 384 y 0
point 1  x 832 y 0
point 2  x 832 y 2296
point 3  x 384 y 2296
outline 1 from point 4 to point 0
outline 2 from point 1 to point 0
outline 3 from point 1 to point 0

so, what outline 1,2,3 are saying me? what is the point 4 (outline 1)?
What is the right method for read those informations? (is this are the
right method for read and talk to outlines :) )

Every contour is a closed curve.  The last point of the n-th contour is
recorded in outline.contour[n] and following it, comes the first point
of this contour (to form a closed curve).  The (n+1)-th contour begins
at outline.contour[n] + 1.

As for the code, you should use outline.n_contours in the outer `for'. I
don't know if the rest is correct or not, but with the understanding of
a contour, it should not be too hard to correct it, if there is any.

I'll try.
Thanks,

Michele