Re: [ft] freetype 2.2.1 "undefined" symbols on OSX 10.4.6 causes fontcon

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] freetype 2.2.1 "undefined" symbols on OSX 10.4.6 causes fontconfig make to fail ... v2.1.10 is OK
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:24:17 +0900

Hi,

Before all, I have to apologize for your inconvenience.

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:08:08 -0700
Richard <address@hidden> wrote:
>ld: Undefined symbols:
>_ATSFontFindFromName
>make[2]: *** [libfontconfig.la] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>make: *** [all] Error 2

>i've 'played' with most of interations of freetype 2.2.1's "new" config
>directives,
>
>       --with-quickdraw-toolbox
>       --without-quickdraw-carbon
>       --with-ats
>
>but have had no luck so far.
>
>suggestions as to *why* i'm not getting those symbols defined?

It's bug in builds/unix/configure.raw, it is fixed in latest CVS.
The configure script in freetype-2.2.1 tries to enable old MacOS
font support always, but it does not add special linker flag to
use Carbon frameworks (this is bug). Due to this inconsistent
configuration, all Carbon functions are complained as "not defined".
I was misunderstanding, there are many MacOS X users who does not
care old MacOS font support. Oops.

I attached a patch to fix this issue (it disables old MacOS font
support by default). Or, use "--with-old-mac-fonts" option to
support old MacOS font.

Regards,
mpsuzuki